[C38] Separation Anxiety

david at dlrfilms.com david at dlrfilms.com
Thu Jan 14 16:42:59 EST 2010

>  Be careful Dave our boats are overbuilt but when things start to
> go bad they escalate very quickly.

Indeed! One of the first things I noticed when I pulled the whole thing
apart is that once the initial detachment occurs (whether liner or that
weird glassed on chainplate bracket), the whole thing becomes a lever to
further pull the entire arrangement apart.

In my case, I think the initial weakness was caused by cutting away a
portion of the liner to route the A/C and not doing nearly enough to
account for the weakness that caused, and over time the separation spread
for and aft. I'll be much happier after we push it all back together,
reglass the weir chainplate bracket and put some no nonsense tabs in
place.

Which reminds me. My surveyor recomended tabs, which I did. But if you tab
to a liner that's not well connected to the boat I wonder if you haven't
made things worse instead of better. I wonder if those tabs actually
contributed to the problem rather than letting the bulkhead slip and give.

As I said, buyer beware, and another reason to reef way before you think
you need to!