[C38] Mast Head Sheaves

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 14 20:27:19 EST 2010

Renata also has two sheaves forward and two aft.  The previous owner tried to service the sheaves without dropping the mast.  After I owned the boat for a few years, I did drop the mast and found one sheave in the mast step where it had fallen and impossible to retrieve without pulling the mast.  I assume a previous owner dropped the sheave but it could have been a factory screw up also.

Although it is technically feasible to remove the sheaves without dropping the mast, it is extremely difficult and virtually impossible without removing the halyards first.  I would be very hesitant to try remove the sheaves but if you are successful, no harm done since you would have to pull the mast otherwise.

The trick would be to remove the halyards and somehow put a restraining wire or cord on each sheave holding them in place until you can remove the pins and pull the sheaves out of their slots.  Tricky but I expect not entirely impossible.

One nice thing about our masts is if you do try to service the sheaves while the mast is standing, you can do one pair of sheaves first and after you replace the halyards on the serviced sheaves you can pull the other pair of sheaves.  Some boats without double sheaves sets make this trick impossible unless you secure a temporary external halyard to hold yourself aloft.

I've attached two pictures of my masthead when I overhauled it.  The 12ga shotgun brushes in one photo are part of my "poor man's ion dissipator" (air terminal) for lighting protection.  The anchor light was loose because I was rewiring it as well as everything else in the mast.

I used waterproof trailer axle grease to reassemble the sheaves and for the remaining 8 yrs I owned the boat, the sheaves worked like they were on roller bearings.

Sorry for the long ramble. As you can see, that rarified air up there at the top of the mast left my brain in an anoxia state.  That's probably what caused me to sell my boat.

Tom Troncalli
(former owner of Renata and now living in a depressed state but still enjoying 17 yrs of memories)