[C38] First win ever!!!!

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 17:47:43 EST 2010

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I just won my first race on Estancia. We
were racing with a phrf handicap against pretty fast boats, but despite
that, I was the second one out of the starting line, a minute later we were
leading the fleet and that was it until the finish line. Also we were the
ones with the least number of crew., just three!! I almost fell by handling
the whisker pole as an spinnaker pole by myself (the ATN tacker was not
doing its job on some wind angles, and I did't care if the whisker exploded
while being used as a spi pole, but it worked great). Of course we were
using a spinnaker snuffer...
We finished a lot of time ahead of a Bavaria 49, hunter 44, legend 37,
beneteau 46 and some others that were also using racing sails. The downwind
legs were the best for us despite the 1979 $95 spinnaker from Minney's that
I bought just for learning and practice purposes.
 Everybody was impressed with our speed, and believed or not, a judge boat
came by to check if we had our engine on!!!They were really surprised, and
so was I!!! Estancia now has a lot of respect and they were trying to get
some info from my boat and look for C38 info on the web and double check our
rating. They never thought about an older desing making such a race against
newer models.......Did I mentioned that most of the boats were using folding
props and I still have a fixed prop??

Regards from a really proud C38 owner

--
Max Soto