[C38] C38s with Yanmar exhaust elbows

Robert Miller chapuys at aol.com
Thu Feb 25 18:17:41 EST 2010

I was gradually losing power from my Universal 5424 diesel.  Last week I
took her out and was only able to maintain 1700 rpm at full throttle.  With
visions of a new engine haunting me I called the legendary Alfredo who is
one of the best known diesel mechanics in San Diego.  He ran the engine,
checked out the injectors and said "your engine is fine."  "It's probably an
exhaust restriction."  He pointed to the Yanmar elbow and said that they are
prone to clogging.  20 minutes later he had the exhaust system removed and
broke the elbow with a hammer.  What had previously been a 1 3/4" passage
was now completely clogged with carbon with two passages less than 1/8" in
diameter.  He is fashioning a new pipe system minus the elbow and will
install a new exhaust flange.  He will be back next week to install it.  I
will let you know how it works out.  If anyone has one of those elbows and
is losing power, check it out.

Bob Miller
"Bolero" #113
Southwestern YC, San Diego