[C38] Thanks

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 26 09:06:06 EST 2010

Thank you forum,

I have been quietly reading all of the forum emails since I sold my boat last month and gave notice of my pending  resignation of the position of Tech Editor for the group.

Several of you have thanked me publicly and privately for my contributions and I was deeply moved by those kind remarks.  I can't tell you how much this group has meant to me.

I owned my 38 for about 17 years and to part with her was a real emotional event to say the least.  To allow me to lurk here and follow the dialogs and discussions has helped me make the transition back to the real world.

I will enjoy memory of the years of being a part of this fine community and I thank all of you for making it possible.

We still have our old Catalina 27 we used to use for lake racing as well as a couple of smaller dinks like an old Laser and an old O'Day sailing dink.  With these toys, I can still enjoy my addiction for sailing but it will never equal the enjoyment of passage making in a Catalina 38 in the Florida waters.  Although we didn't race our 38, I especially enjoyed cutting through the waves as I passed larger vessels.  I always enjoyed the "Walter Mitty" feel of taking my old Catalina 38 and passing a larger and more modern "Clorox bottle" styled newer vessel as I looked innocent at the helm while I tweaked every last bit of speed from my aging but nimble old boat past them.  I enjoyed having them wave back with reluctant smiles as my old antique made them look like they were dragging their keels on the bottom.  I remember once passing a 42' while we towed our dink behind and they had no dink.  Our dink was riding our stern wave and presented almost no drag but it did wonders to kill the ego of the other boat as we passed them to leeward.  LOL

What a life!

Thanks again,
Tom Troncalli