[C38] C38s with Yanmar exhaust elbows

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 26 14:18:42 EST 2010

I have to agree with Dave McCarthy about the carbon buildup on diesel
exhaust systems.  All engines hate to run cold but diesels particularly.

When we were close to our final destination we would make it a point to
crank up and motor sail or drop sails and motor the last couple of miles
with at least 1500 rpms to completely warm our engine to remove
condensation in the engine oil and clean out the exhaust carbon while at
the same time heating our hot water tank for our hot showers at the end of
the day.  The cleansing benefits of a hot engine don't really start to work
until after reaching full temperature under a load.

After many years, our exhaust was still clean and our engine oil never
showed any signs of moisture.

Tom Troncalli

cyl Yanmar. The exhaust was reduced to less than 1/8" due to carbon
buildup. This was a common problem for a number of boats in our marina. The
run from the slip to sails up was less than 10 minutes. The mechanic said
that if we did not run the engine at temperature for at least as long as it
takes to warm it up, we would continue to have carbon build up problems. I
don't know if this is the issue with your engine, but longer run times
seemed to solve our problem.

> Dave McCarthy
> C38 #148 - Pretty Lady
> San Francisco, CA

> Common Sense is a rare gift from the Gods.
> Most people have only technical training!

> The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in
sailing.

With