[C38] Forward hatch replacement??

Charles Finn charles at finn.ws
Thu Mar 18 09:01:35 EDT 2010

Tom,
I also used one of the 2x6s we carry in that manner.  It does stop a lot
of the water and is easy to rig once you have thought to pre-drill the
holes and don't lose the short securing lines!  The fore deck is not the
place to solve these issues when things have gotten so bad that you
finally decide to do something!  Kind of like when to reef...
Probably the worst water incursion I have experienced on our boats is
when during a heavy storm the anchor locker hatch worked lose.  It was
dark and I couldn't see the problem, but I was worried because the boat
was not handling the way I expected (could not point).  The anchor
locker flooded and water was easily able to move aft into the forward
locker in the veeberth.  After floating everything in there, it flowed
downward and soaked everything stored forward of my water tank as well
as the veebirth cushions and all the clothes stored safely forward
during the day.  I had spare electronic gear and sails stored up there,
which captured an immense weight.
Once it was light enough, I could see the hatch cover moving.  Got quite
a soaking going up to secure it.  Got to spend a whole sunny day
slotting quarters into a dryer and hanging everything out on lines
rather than making the planned rendezvous.
I now have lines permanently tied up forward that secure that hatch!

To live through it is to learn!

Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes