[C38] bad injector on Universal 5424

Jonathan Whitney jonwhit23 at aol.com
Tue Mar 23 18:55:40 EDT 2010

First, wanted to thank all of you who responded to my last question about heat exchangers (all very helpful - many thanks!)  However, once that got fixed, new issues presented themselves (naturally).  When I turn the engine on, there is lots of grey smoke from exhaust (which has been occuring) AND smoke actually emitting from the center injector (noticeable stream coming directly from the housing holding the injector - this is new).  If the injector were bad/dirty it would certainly explain both problems.  The problem is, I have never removed injectors before and am unsure how to proceed.  Some sources seem to say, just remove them and get them cleaned (or rebuilt if they need to be) - however in Nigel Calder's book, he is adamant about not touching injectors unless its the absolute last resort - and to get a diesel mechanic to address it.  My question is:

-has anyone else had similar problems of smokey injectors?
-what would likely cause this to happen?
-is this a direct sign of need of replacement or is cleaning possible?
-should all 3 injectors be treated equally or is it ok to just remove and clean the noticeably faulty one?
-is it time to call a mechanic, or can I safely proceed (without special tools) and not cause damage

Any information/help would be greatly appreciated

Many many thanks,
Jon Whitney

Honolulu
Hull #54 "Kuu Haku"