[C38] New Catalinas 38 owner: Boom Rigging

S Orton ssorton at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 24 02:41:01 EDT 2010

Alex,  One cheap change is the main outhaul.  If you have the factory outhaul car on your boom, remove it and throw it away.  The original car is an aluminum casting sliding directly on the aluminum boom- metal on metal.  It takes a hammer to move it under load.  With the car removed, connect the outhaul directly to the main clew.  This takes care of the out force.  To contain the vertical force, wrap webbing or a line through the clew and around the the boom.  I use a dacron sail tie as the webbing wrapped around twice and held in place with velcro.  I also use a loose footed main.  I copied this scheme from a J-120.  The force to adjust the outhaul was reduce by at least a factor of 10, which really helps in controlling the main shape.

Cheers, Steve O