[C38] Solar panels and dodger

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Mon May 10 12:25:41 EDT 2010

The dodger is quite new.  The bridge bar on which the solar panels
attach is 3/4" built from two layers of 3/8" marine ply, epoxy coated,
primed and then two coats of Krylon Blue.  The paint needs a touch up.
It is NOT thru bolted to the dodger.  I created stainless clamps to go
around the dodger frame, inside the zipperd frame pockets.  The bridge
then thrubolts through the fabric dodger to these clamps.  If you remove
it, there will be 6 holes, three at each end of the dodger, fairly
trivial to patch.

	These are 65 Watt Kyocera panels and charge the battery at about 8Amps
peak.  I have a Bluesky solar boost controller, and it works well.  It
is mounted just inside the cabin on the starboard side well above the
settee, outboard of the instrument cover.

	You can see that the VHF has been mounted inside a housing under the
shelf next to the stereo.

	The stereo is fairly new, and the exterior speakers were just replaced
last December.

	We still have CNG, and prefer it.