[C38] Spinnakers

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Tue May 25 00:40:45 EDT 2010

With the OOR behind us Swiftsure is coming up this weekend and it is time to tap the salty and seasoned experience of the list's skippers.   During the Oregon Offshore the boats upwind perfromance left very little to be desired...we footed faster and pointed higher than just about everyone.  Once we got the right sail plan up we had more than enough power to plow through the waves with very little detriment to boat speed.

On the downwind leg we have room for improvement.   Reaching and running the shape looked good so I feel okay about our block and pole locations.  We were running with about 25 knots of apparent and the boat was quite rolly, that was no surprise and to be expected in the conditions, ( we are thinking that the dazy stay sail will help stabilize the boat anyone with experience with a dazy?) but prior to that the best I can describe is sluggish, I wasnt to impressed with our performance.  I dont recall the angles we were sailing but im quessing on the run about 150-160.  Is that to deep?  Its a brand new chute and cut for all purpose and about 100+ square feet larger than the size listed on the site so I would have expected better speed in the lighter winds.  What angles have others found to be the best?  Thanks.

Steve
#312 Peregrine
Seattle