[C38] Wind Instruments

Charles B. Finn charles at finn.ws
Fri May 28 10:06:23 EDT 2010

A few years back, I decided to go with Navman for my upgrade from
Signet....  What a mistake!  Navman was sold and merged into Northstar,
which has discontinued the line and offers absolutely no support!
The problem is the LCD display fades erratically.  I have taken the unit
apart and it appears the connection is "glued" to the motherboard, which
is bizarre to say the least!
I could have gone with other brands such as Datamarine or Raymarine, but
I had problems with those folks regarding maintenance on other boats I
have owned...
Now there is a rumor that Raymarine is in trouble...  They were sold to
Flir Systems (a thermal imaging company) in May for pennies on the
dollar.  Maybe that is a good thing, but I went down this road with
Navman...

Has anyone done some research lately on instruments?  If so, what would
you recommend?

Regards,
Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn  #114