[C38] Main Haylard Rope Clutch Question

Jay Sorensen jsorensen at novarx.com
Thu Jun 3 12:10:56 EDT 2010

Hi Steve,

Please find the attached photos of what I believe was the stock rope clutch assembly for c. 1985 C-38's.  They are mounted forward of the stock traveler.  There is a double clutch assembly on the port side.  One for the main halyard (missing after parting last weekend!) and one for the primary jib halyard.  The one on starboard holds the secondary jib halyard and spin halyard on our boat.  So far they work well but are forward of the traveler and a little bit of a reach but not bad.  Unless you are going to replace the traveler I think this is a good solution but I might recommend going for a 3 or even 4 position clutch to allow for a foreguy, topping lift, a second spinnaker halyard, etc.  They really help when you are short crewed and have a limited number of winches on the cabin top.

Jay Sorensen

#311, Broad Reach

San Diego, CA