[C38] Catalina 38 Burgee

TURNER MARK empty1 at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 11 11:37:25 EDT 2010

Yes.. You are mostly correct.. National ensign on ensign staff or from the
gaff peak on a gaff rigged vessel (not the backstay - although I doubt
anyone would cause you hassle as its your own country's flag you are
demeaning - unlike the courtesy flag which is theirs). Courtesy ensign from
next senior position - the starboard spreader, Club burgee from the mast
head - if you can- if not then from the port spreader.

It has also become customary to fly the regional flag under the courtesy
flag, Eg in Canada, you might fly the flag of the province you are in below
the canadian courtesy flag.
Like wise, you may choose to fly the burgee of the sailing association in
whose waters you are sailing below the club burgee on the port spreader. For
example, down in solomons island I might choose as a courtesy to fly the
burgee of the Southern Maryland Sailing Association from my port spreader.
Some folk also choose to fly the national flags of any foriegn crew aboard
from the port spreader as a courtesy, but the ones required by law in
foriegn waters are ensign, courtesy flag (above which nothing must be flown)
and if you want, club burgee from the port spreader.

For some UK and former british commonwealth yacht clubs boats it's slightly
different, because some clubs have their own versions of the UK maritime
ensign, in which case it is law that they have to fly their club burgee to
show entitlement to use that ensign. This gives a small idea of just how
many there are.
http://www.flags.net/country.php?country=UNKG&section=CURR&category=YACH

So, when I'm in MD I must have 1. USA courtesy flag on starboard spreader.
Because I'm in the Royal Naval Sailing Association I must have their club
burgee either from the mast head or port spreader (in the UK, the burgee is
masthead or starboard spreader as I wouldnt need a courtesy flag) and I will
fly the plain (undefaced ) blue ensign at the ensign staff.
I can choose to fly the MD state flag below the US courtesy flag, and the
USNSA and SMSA  and C38 burgees below the RNSA burgee in that order.

Burgees should be flown in order of seniority with the senior highest.

In some countries attitudes to all this are relaxed, but in others
(especially smaller countries) they can take great offence and even fine
you.
Anyway, it all helps make life interesting.
Have fun
Mark C38 #80 The Goose.