[C38] fresh water to the head

Charles B. Finn charles at finn.ws
Fri Jul 2 08:46:24 EDT 2010

Ok I admit it.  Sometimes I forget to do even the most routine things
and as I get older some people report this is happening more often (but,
I don't remember).
We installed a simple ball valve in-line that is available from any
hardware store for convenience and added insurance.  It was easy to do
and is convenient to use when we are not underway.  The water supply
line going to the head goes from the forward seacock and loops above the
waterline to ensure there is no positive pressure on the relatively weak
valves in the head.  When we are underway, the combination of heeling
and bow wave can easily set up a situation where the relative water
level is well above your loop.  I cannot even count how many times I
have gone below underway to discover I had forgot to close the seacock
under the galley sink and now have water flowing out of the sink into
the storage locker just to port of it.   Having a ball valve in the head
that you close after each use ensures you won't discover water flowing
over the bowl while you are underway, but it should never substitute for
closing the seacock.  Too many things can happen to hidden water supply
lines that could quickly put you in a serious situation.  That is why
some marine insurance companies require brass seacocks.

Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn  #114
Great Lakes