[C38] Questions, questions

Charles B. Finn charles at finn.ws
Fri Jul 9 09:39:39 EDT 2010

Tom and Les,
Thanks!  I actually set out to employ Tom's version as he had told me
about it a while back.  The problem I ran into that gave me pause has
nothing to do with wiring.  Rather it is that recurring problem of
memory!  The water heater and battery charger on my boat are wired into
the two, separate circuits.  My inverter is capable of powering these,
but of course my battery bank is not.  You would think I should notice
the draw when I switch over, but the inverter has to be located within 3
feet of the battery bank.  Second is people other than me routinely turn
the inverter on to charge cell phones, etc.
My official notice that something is wrong is when the inverter starts
beeping to tell me voltage levels have dropped.
My choices then were to separately wire the water heater and battery
charger, or separately run wires to the top outlet receptacle.  I am
going with the later partially because the project is already underway
and partially because it seems more of a "failsafe" setup.  The plan is
one, two-wire from the inverter that runs up the port side to the cabin
outlet, then to the one in the head (to charge my electric toothbrush
which no civilized being can do without anymore), then to the vee berth
outlets and then down the starboard side to the cabin outlet.  I don't
plan to run a wire to the galley as the inverter is right there anyway.
I probably should run a remote shutoff switch for the inverter (it has
this option) to the chart table.  Total cost is about $40.00.  One thing
I should note is that GFI's won't work on the inverter circuit.

Tom,
I actually am adopting your home charging solution!  Home Depot wants
$300 for a switch that does not do half of what your solution does.  Thanks!

Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Great Lakes