[C38] Boat Fire

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Wed Jul 28 03:20:34 EDT 2010

Steve,
     On the fire subject - I have a homemade fire extinguisher for your
home kitchen you might want to try. In my youth I broiled a  lot of
steaks and had a lot of grease fires. (indoors - this was New England -
you would freeze your ass off if you tried to cook outdoors). I had a
metal flour shaker with large holes in the top. I filled it with Baking
Soda. When the grease fire broke out - a few shakes of Baking Soda and
it is  out. Scrape off the excess and the steak is just fine.  You need
to stir the Baking Soda with a spoon from time to time because it tends
to clump. Some dry powder extinguishers are just Baking Soda and a
filler to keep it from clumping. When heated, Baking Soda releases CO2
as you will remember from your chemistry classes. Joe