[C38] backstay adjusters

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jul 30 13:25:51 EDT 2010

  Dear Group: I have a Navtec hydraulic, with a gauge, that will put
huge pressure on the rig with great results for head sail shape.
However, it leaks hydraulic fluid and is constantly making a mess.
Expensive repair efforts, including expensive shipping, have failed to
stop the leaking. A mechanical BSA, one of the chrome wheel types, looks
attractive. Problem is, it seems to me, that one would not know how much
tension is placed on the rig.
What are the experiences of others of you?
Regards, Don

On 7/30/10 10:19 AM, Max Soto wrote:
> Hey Bill ,
>
> Congrats!
> I also planning to install a backstay adjuster on Estancia, but still
> not sure if I should go for a hydraulic or a mechanical......
> I'm also going to race tomorrow. Just borrowed a huge 155% and a huge
> assy, so we'll see how it goes.....
>
> Regards,
> Max Soto
> C38 #198 ESTANCIA
> Puntarenas, Costa Rica
>
> 2010/7/30 Bill Haynes <hayneswm at charter.net <mailto:hayneswm at charter.net>>
>
>     Hi everybody!  Just thought I would let ya'll know that Zephyr was
>     entered in another regatta here in St. Andrews Bay (Panama City,
>     FL) and kicked butt once more.  The second place boat crossed the
>     finish line more than 7 minutes later.
>     We have a new custom fitted mainsail on now.  Next on the list to
>     be done will be an adjustable backstay.  By this fall we will
>     hopefully have a new 155 installed.
>     Right now we are in the non-spinnaker class.  By next year we hope
>     to be prepared to be in with the spinnaker class.  We are having
>     lots of fun on this boat.
>     Bill Haynes
>     Athens, GA

> --