[C38] backstay adjusters

S Orton ssorton at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 31 15:36:13 EDT 2010

Santa Susanna (1985) has a SAILTEC hydraulic/mechanical locking backstay adjuster.  You hydraulically apply the load, lock the adjuster and then remove the hydraulic pressure- no pressure, no leakage.  About 10 years ago, I left the pressure for several days, maybe a week, on by accident, and blew the seals.  I sent back to the manufacturer for over haul and it cost around $400.  Since, using it properly, I've had no problem.  I'm sure the secret is the mechanical lock.

Cheers, Steve O