[C38] Missing Boom Vang?

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Mon Aug 23 01:19:20 EDT 2010

Joey,

Welcome aboard!  Your main sheet system is set up very similiar to mine, depending on the type of sailing you plan on will answer the question about a vang system.   Vangs are a tweak for sail trim primarly used to flatten out the sail in heavier winds and move the draft forward.  Tweaked after you have primary shape and position set with the main sheet and traveller.  If you plan on cruising and day sailing your set up is probably okay.   If you want to race a rigid boom vang from garhauer is relatively inexpensive and easy to install (check with garhauer on the proper angle off the mast for the vang I dont remember exactly but believe it is 37.5 degrees) plus you can do away with the topping lift.  Our boat originally had a line and tackle system the purchase wasnt very good so it was basically worthless for using to shape the sail.   If you use a line system I would advise against unhooking it and connecting to the rail when going down wind.  If you should roll your boom  into the water it could break your boom, the force is concentrated on the boom where the tackle connects which is about mid way, so that is where it will bend or break.

I rigged up  a boom preventer for downwind, another advantage of doing a boom preventer is that when you jybe you can play the boom preventer out and have a little more control in bringing the boom across.   At the bow I have a length of webbing with two eyes, one to attach to the bow cleat the other has a shackle and block, line runs from the cockpit through the block and then connects to a six foot piece of dynema line that has two eye splices one that is attached to a bail at the aft end of the boom and the other is for connecting to the a shackle on the boom preventer.  When stowed the dynema lays against the side of the boom secured forward by a small cleat and a piece of shock cord.   The whole system is very easy to set and store.  When your done with your jibe you undo the shackle walk around the mast and resecure the system on the other side.   It has saved my butt a few times.

Steve
#312 Peregrine
Seattle