[C38] winterize checklist?

Charles B. Finn charles at finn.ws
Tue Oct 5 08:43:39 EDT 2010

  Ok, Ok, I have to admit that this is the time of the year when I am a
more than a bit envious of our "fair weather" friends who don't have to
say good bye to their boats for the season.  But, here is a list of
things you folks miss out on!

1.  The last sail of the season, which usually is way too late
weather-wise.  My worst experience was sledding from Two Harbors to
Duluth, MN in a gale with ice building on the decks hoping I didn't have
to go out there to knock it off before reaching port!  Perhaps the best
is gliding along the shores of Lake Champlain with the trees in the
Adirondack Mountains in full color... On a sunny day, it is almost too
bright even with sunglasses.

2. First sail of the season.  It is not quite like getting a new boat,
OH BOY!

3. Waiting through the winter for the first sail.  Can't tell you how
many toys I have bought over the years as the sailing magazines and
catalogs gather for a perfect storm on the wallet!

4. Going to the Caribbean to compensate.  (this is where I expect Max
will weigh in from Costa Rica)

5. ....

OK, OK, that doesn't nearly make up for it... Sigh

I have one more 4 day sail coming up this weekend,

Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn, #114