[C38] winterize checklist?

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 5 09:31:26 EDT 2010

I've enjoyed all the emails regarding winterizing.  These emails remind me
why I kept my Catalina 38 in Florida for 17 yrs before I sold it this last
January.

We live near Atlanta and have an outboard Catalina 27 on Lake Lanier which
we do need to winterize.  We use our boat year round but between
Thanksgiving and Easter we sail with dry plumbing, including the toilet.  A
couple of years ago water collected in a low spot and caused a freeze crack
in a water line.  I now blow the lines dry with compressed air and then
pump some RV potable antifreeze through the lines to insure no residual
collection of water in a low area will freeze again.  With different
temperature changes, any residual moisture in the lines will eventually
find the low spots and collect there.

Keeping a boat in central Florida was a pretty good defense against
freezing but it sure was a long drive from our home.  My little 27 is 45
minutes from my house which makes up for a whole lot of winterization
problems and should allow more sailing time and less driving time.

Sure gonna miss the comforts of the 38 though.

Tom Troncalli
Recovering Ex-Catalina 38 owner, now a lurker

there is a checklist floating around or some of you all had some pointers
for me.  Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.