[C38] difficulty starting

Jay Sorensen jsorensen at novarx.com
Thu Nov 18 11:01:07 EST 2010

I second Dan's comment.  We still have the original glowplugs and
control panel on Broad Reach #311.  If I'm in a hurry and try to start
the engine with only a few seconds of glowplug it takes 8-10 cranks to
get it started, if I wait for 20-30 seconds it starts on the first half
crank.  It's a dramatic difference.  The engine has had a complete
professional rebuild so the compression, fuel pump timing, etc. are in
fine shape and it runs like a champ.  But the accessories are all
original.  I think I remember 70's-80's diesel cars being the same way.

Jay #311, San Diego, CA