[C38] Mast leak

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 20 20:36:24 EST 2010

On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 14:18 +0800, Dan Kueng wrote:
> Is leaking water through the mast into the bilge a common problem?  Is there
> a fix?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Some water will come down inside the mast.  This is the product of sweat
mostly, and some will come through the mast top.  But and all of this
ends up in the bilge, coming out of a weep hole in the mast step.  You
can sort of look at this by using either a mirror or by taking photos
with a digital camera of the mast step from inside the bilge at the
forward end near the head.  You may also be able to extend the camera
down inside the forward settee seat inboard of the holding tank.

	I cleaned JACE's mast step up a bit when we had the mast awlgripped,
but we should probably have it unstepped again soon and recheck all the
fittings and the mast step again.  Ditto for the wiring, antenna and
windex.

	Things just need attention from time to time.

Other wise water can come inside from the mast tophat, down through the
deck and weep along the mast ending up on the cushion if it is touching
the mast, or in the bilge if it isn't.  You can put a boot on the mast
that covers the tophat, and things will improve, or you can use a mast
seal as we did.

Regards,
Les H
JACE