[C38] Bilge Pump

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 20 21:39:55 EST 2010

There are leaks and drips, and spouts and witches oh my!!

	The litteny of leaks in JACE cover all the above and more.

	1.  Spartite sealed the partners.
	2.  resealing all the windows with a kit of supplies from Catalina
direct eliminated all but one of the window drips (I haven't figure that
one out yet.)
	3.  Resealing the chain plates (used a comealong to haul the chain
plates forward or aft by 1/16" so I could clean the old stuff out first
helped) cured some of the in cabin leaks.
	4.  Redoing the packing on the shaft helped and keeping it correctly
adjusted helps more.
	5.  Redoing the packing on the rudder tube stopped another.
	6.  fixing the bilge through hull with real hose clamps helped with
some more.
	7.  Replacing a broken hose clamp on the exhaust helped some more.
	8.  filling a small diameter (size of a bik stick pen) under the
exhaust helped with a weep type leak (this was nasty and we only found
it when the hull was peeled and recovered by Hull Tech).  This appeared
to go clean through the hull, except for the last few layers of
fiberglass on the boat bottom.  I have NO IDEA where this came from,
what it was made for, or by whom.
	9.  replacing a broken hose clamp (age kills us all eventually) on the
head and sink drains cured another.
	10.  and your refer drains to the bilge.  If you use a chiller of any
kind, the accumulated humidity will eventually find its way to the
bilge.
	11.  JACE has a hatch in the cockpit sole, and that is another storey
for the previous owner to tell, but it leaked because its seal was bad,
so a good foam filled gasket placed around the hatch perimeter fixed
that.
	12.  Rebedding the freshwater fitting stopped another.

And drum roll please...
	13 rebedding the stanchions seems to have us at least temporarily water
tight.

	There are likely others.
	One interesting thing we had was a loss of freshwater with no water
appearing anywhere that I could see.  Turned out that there was a
fitting that someone had put in the anchor locker to use shore water.
It had ruptured its pressure controller diaphram and pressure water was
leaking into the anchor locker, through its drain hole and out to sea
with no trace, except the water pump kept cycling and water tended to
disappear fast on a cruise.  This took me a while because that fitting
wasn't on the diagrams.  I sealed that hose and removed the fitting.

regards,
Les H