[C38] Inverter/Charger

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Mon Nov 22 15:44:38 EST 2010

I wanted one, but never had the cash for the package.  So I bought an
inverter.  It is 1800 watts, which seems sufficient.  The main issue is
that this is a psuedo sine type inverter.  It creates a positive pulse
of about 60v then rests a bit, then a negative pulse of 60v and rests.
The microwave works, but complains a bit, small battery chargers don't
typically work well, and some don't work at all.  So my recommendation
is spring for the extra boat coupons and pick up one that has a true
sine wave.  Less stress on connected appliances.  Also think about the
energy drain on your battery.  These things draw 10x the current to
produce the 10x voltage.  A coffeepot for example will draw about 700w.
This correspondes to 6A at 120v and 60A at 12v.  Make sure your
batteries can handle that.  A 60A draw for 10 minutes is about 10Amp
hours off the battery, due to the effects of high current discharge.
Check the curves at one of the good battery places on line, like Trojan.

Also be aware that this is essentially a short circuit for your
alternator, so unless it has a field cutoff, I wouldn't run the engine
during a coffee pot or microwave run.  Just a safety precaution.  I
originally had a 91A alternator on the old engine to support this thing,
but I haven't figured out how to put it on the new engine.

Regards,