[C38] replacing packing material on rudder post

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Mon Nov 22 16:04:41 EST 2010

I have fixed the rudder post leak on Discreet Charm by replacing the
packing in the packing gland.
The fix has given us absolutely leak free use for fours years of heavy
sailing.
This is a difficult job until you master the technique.  After two long,
laborious failures, I found
that water proof grease on the the packing material allowed it to slide
into the groove; without grease
it would not slide in. The packing material fits into the wider diameter
of the top piece, shown below.
You are forcing it upward.  Slide the top piece down carefully to force
in the packing material.
     Cut the packing material diagonally and perfectly. Use the short
end of the rudder post
that sticks into the cockpit as an anvil of perfect diameter for the
cut.  You have to remove the fitting
that holds the rudder to expose the top of the post.  Be sure to hold
the post when you remove the
fitting, it can sink or slide down after you remove the fitting. Wrap
about 4 rounds around the rudder post
then cut it diagonally into several pieces. The fitting on DC takes
three pieces. For each piece, place the cut at
a 60 deg. offset from the previous piece in order to isolate any leak of
each piece.
Don