[C38] Through-Hull Fittings

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sun Nov 28 12:09:29 EST 2010

I had all of JACE's fittings replaced a few years ago.  When they cut
out the originals, nearly all had corroded up to within about 1/4" of
the top, and one was leaking (that was what prompted the replacement.)

	We have had no issues.  I had this done at a yard in Oceanside.  They
placed a good sized piece of wood around each thru-hull to help spread
any stress.  I'm not sure that is needed, but it is there in JACE.
Anyway, we no longer have any drip on the thru-hull forward.

	Some friends replaced all their bronze with the glass ones.  He said
they were tired of the green stuff on the outside of the bronze.  I
haven't seen that yet.  But if you have a bit of corrosion from salt air
condensation, you can remove that with some polish and then either
vasoline on the thru-hull will help keep it off unless it is where other
stuff will contact it.  In that case I would apply a canvass boot.  I
have not done either on JACE, because it has not been a problem yet.

Regards,