[C38] Salon Shelving Options

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Wed Dec 1 03:11:13 EST 2010

Max,

The pulpit also helps to move the chute forward away from the boat opening up the slot between the main and spinnaker making it more efficient.   Lots of boats will use the J length spinnaker pole rather than tacking off of the bow.  Its also not uncommon to loose the backstay all the way and pull the mast forward with a jib or spinnaker halyard attached to the bow, to help get a  little more distance in the slot.    Another method for jybing is to run the lazy sheet around the stay, fall off and use the main to help collapse the chute then jybing it over in front of the stay.   The polars for our boats show that a poled asym has almost the identically same curve as a symetric chute (not sure Im sold on that though as asyms tend to have less area). Our asym is a narrow shouldered A3ish design.  It was built with cruising in mind and ease of use, we have a sock for it which makes it very easy to deploy, takedown and even jybe sometimes depending on weather.   The best we have done with ours is about 7.8 in 20 knots of breeze (its only about 900 sq/ft of area).

Steve
#312 Peregrine
Seattle