[C38] Salon Shelving Options, sprits, sails and nautical trivia of the endless armchair thread

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 2 12:49:49 EST 2010

Supposed etymology
It is often stated that the phrase originated from the use of a brass tray,
called a "monkey", to hold cannonballs on warships in the 16th to 18th
centuries. Supposedly, in very cold temperatures the "monkey" would
contract, causing the balls to fall off.[4] However, nearly all historians
and etymologists consider this story to be an urban legend. This story has
been discredited by the U.S. Department of the Navy,[5] etymologist Michael
Quinion, and the Oxford English Dictionary (OED).[6]

They give five main reasons:

  1.. The OED does not record the term "monkey" or "brass monkey" being used
in this way.
  2.. The purported method of storage of cannonballs ("round shot") is
simply false. Shot was not stored on deck continuously on the off-chance
that the ship might go into battle. Indeed, decks were kept as clear as
possible.
  3.. Furthermore, such a method of storage would result in shot rolling
around on deck and causing a hazard in high seas. Shot was stored on the gun
or spar decks, in shot racks-longitudinal wooden planks with holes bored
into them, known as shot garlands in the Royal Navy, into which round shot
were inserted for ready use by the gun crew.
  4.. Shot was not left exposed to the elements where it could rust. Such
rust could lead to the ball not flying true or jamming in the barrel and
exploding the gun. Indeed, gunners would attempt to remove as many
imperfections as possible from the surfaces of balls.
  5.. The physics does not stand up to scrutiny. The contraction of both
balls and plate over the range of temperatures involved would not be
particularly large. The effect claimed possibly could be reproduced under
laboratory conditions with objects engineered to a high precision for this
purpose, but it is unlikely it would ever have occurred in real life aboard
a warship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_monkey_%28colloquial_expression%29