[C38] Through-Hull Fittings

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 3 14:26:33 EST 2010

Hi, Mark,
	I don't.  On ships we used to polish all the bronze in the Navy.  It
didn't seem to bother them.  The bronze and brass will develop that
green Patina just from salt air and humidity.  If you use an area for
storage where you have a thru-hull, that can come off on clothes or
other things and may be objectionable to some people.  As to polishing
covering up a problem, I can't answer that, but I don't think it would.
Most likely if you have a problem, the corrosion would be secondary to
salt build up due to any leakage that was subtle enough to not show up
through polishing, and that would be relatively minor, I think.

	Someone talked about linking all their through hulls together.  In my
limited experience and research, that has limited effects either bad or
good.  Experts seem divided on the electrolysis effects, and the only
other issue would be lightening protection.  Again, there are many
thoughts on what works, but the most accepted view seems to be that
grounding the mast through a heavy wire is the best, providing a "cone
of protection".  I haven't seen any information on linking thru-hulls to
the grounded mast that was definitive.  Lightening deals with something
called skin effect, which can produce odd impedance's making any
prediction about its flow and paths to ground subject to interpretation
without extensive EMF modeling.  It is no small task to perform that
analysis.  If anyone has contradicting information, please provide links
or maybe we can get a copy to post on the C38 website.

Regards,
Les H