[C38] nautical terms

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 3 14:51:24 EST 2010

This reminded me of an issue that I solved and someone else had the
problem and I gave them my solution for replacing a halyard.  You can
try the small stuff "nipper".
	My technique was to bunch the outer braid up about 4"-6" on the old
line and cut out the core using scissors.  It doesn't have to be
pretty.
	Butt the new line to the old core and slide the outer braid of the old
line down over the whole new line.  You get what is almost a splice (but
no real strength), but really smooth.

	Then stitch it a few times about 1/2" up from the bitter end of the old
braid. Stitch like you would for a seizing, and a couple of wraps around
the braid won't hurt either.  I usually put 6-10 wraps, like a short
seizing, then stitch back and forth through the line about 6 times going
across the wraps with each stitch, so they are held in place like a
seizing.

	If it does get snagged when hauling, simply pulling harder will cause
the braid to close on the following line, reducing its volume and
increasing the hold on it up to several tens of pounds, like chinese
finger cuffs if you remember those from your childhood.  To make sure it
is working before sending it up the mast, just pull really hard on both
lines to make sure you work holds before sending it up.  Retrieving it
works the same way, so if a few added pounds doesn't send it on up,
simply pull it down again and then see how far you were when it snagged.
That will help you find the tight spot in the mast. (not likely, usually
if it doesn't go through it is a frozen pully in the mast or maybe one
of the decorative scuppers where the line enters the mast.)

Then pull it through.

Regards,