[C38] mast antenna cable

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 8 17:05:22 EST 2010

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 11:57 -0600, Craig Steinkraus wrote:
> If memory serves, I used RG-59. I bought it at Radio Shack. They should be
> able to confirm the correct cable.

59 is not the correct stuff (it's 75ohm). RG-214 (about 1/2" in
diameter) is the correct stuff, get the foam insulation as it resists
water incursion better.  Once you have put the cable in place and
connected it to the antenna, wrap it in self sealing tape, not
electrical tape.  Electrical tape will come off when used in external
applications.  Self sealing tape is sort of like mast boot tape.  It
contains microballoons and when stretched they burst and form a new
layer of silicon binding the tape to itself, making a permanent water
tight seal.  To remove it, should you need to, just slice the tape and
pull it off.  You don't even have to slice it all the way through, so
you can avoid even nicking the cable insulation.

The RG214 is expensive, but remember that the radio may save your life
one day ;-)

Regards,
Les H