[C38] Catalina 38 Questions

david at dlrfilms.com david at dlrfilms.com
Sat Dec 11 15:10:17 EST 2010

> Propane tanks, location, options

I have two 20 pound tanks. At anchor/nearshore they live strapped outboard
on the pushpit. Offshore they are strapped down over the lazzarette. If I
had it to do over again, I'd get 10 pounders.

> Keel bolts, bilge plywood sole repairs

Factory details and drawing for this here:

http://catalina38.org/technical/

Other tech details that may be of interest.

> Windlass - where/how best to install.

I make my wife haul the anchor by hand. YMMV

> Crack/leaks at chainplates

My boat is '79 and I am the sixth owner. Had a leak, rebedded. No leak.

> Worn rudder tube (check if cap moves 1/8" or more)

Repair details in the above archive. Graphite/epoxy might make a better
tube. See Gudgeon Bros. website

> Baby stay/track

Not needed.

Check the tabs between the hull and liner!