[C38] Seafurl grease

dmills3 at comcast.net dmills3 at comcast.net
Wed May 18 10:43:29 EDT 2011

Hi everyone, I bought a new wire to rope halyard and was going to replace the old one on my 1981 C38 Hood Seafurl. I'm sure it is the original. I couldn't get the 2 setscrews out so I took the whole drum off. The 2 bearings still rotate good but there was a lot of grease surrounding them. I took the unit home so it would be easier to work on. I have thouroughly lubricated the setscrews with PB Blaster and have used a propane torch to heat the area but the setscrews won't budge. Any Ideas? I was thinking of drilling them out and retap with the next size up setscrews.

Also, the bearings look as though they are sealed, but there is a grease fitting in the unit. What type of grease is proper? I Googled a little and most of the comments are talking about flusing them with water. That must be for newer versions. The markings on my unit is C, and one half has a 55 stamped in it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Dan Miller #108