[C38] Past history

Patrick Harpole 1derful at comcast.net
Wed Jul 6 17:16:44 EDT 2011

HONOLULU---Boat speed and brains win sailboat races, but perseverance and
persuasion were equally important for some of the class winners in the 42nd
Transpacific Yacht Race.

      Bengal II crew members dig in at their welcome luau with Transpac
Commodore Brad Avery. The Japanese entry completed its second successive
Transpac. Photo by Rich Roberts

Chris Busch, a sailmaker from San Diego, won Division 4 on his 1D35, Wild
Thing, which some might consider a dubious boat of choice for a
2,225-nautical mile race.

"I knew what I was getting into," he said. "The hard part was talking four
other guys into it."

David Kory, who runs Tradewinds Sailing in Point Richmond, Calif., led a
crew that the sailing magazine Latitude 38 called "the jolly band of
Transpac virgins." They sailed a Catalina 38 called Barking Spider.

"Everybody was a rookie," Kory, 40, said. "Our goal was just to cross the
finish line."

They not only accomplished that but won the Aloha B class, and now his
racer-cruiser sits on Transpac Row amid the higher-tech crowd of Pegasus 77,
Pyewacket and Alta Vita---two-time Barn Door winner, record holder and 2003
overall handicap winner, respectively.

"Everybody in our club is very excited," Kory said. "I feel like a Ford
station wagon parked in a Ferrari line."

Patrick Harpole