[C38] Holes in boats

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Mon Oct 3 00:59:11 EDT 2011

During the planning stage of one of my current projects (putting a sump in the shower sump, when we have a full crew we can never get the sump emptied and there is always "liguid" left sloshing and the current design just doesnt get all of it out, especailly bad on starboard tack) .  I got the idea to beef up the shower sump with an much larger than needed bilge pump so that in the event that we ever were taking on water we would have another higher capacity pump than the one that is currently installed.  Since Im cutting in the new sump hole its easy enough to make sure things will fit.

This thought process raised the question of how the capacity of my current bilge pump stands up against say a failed through hull (hull damage a whole different story)   I searched and searched the net until I found the following link that shows the amount of water at different head levels that comes into a boat through different sized holes.    Eye opening to realize that depending on the circumstance and which through hull failed I could loose my boat.

I have a Rule 2000 in the bilge, thats 33 gallons a minute,  a failed 1" through hull at 2' head level pumps in 28 gallons per minute, interpolating to a 1 1/2" through hull the amount of water coming in is 70 gpm.  If you have never removed your knot meter in the water, try it some time it is amazing the amount of water that fills the bilge before you get the cap on the opening.   Thought I would pass this link along so you can have the information for you own calculations.

http://www.tpub.com/content/advancement/14145/css/14145_191.htm

Steve
#312 Peregrine
Seattle