[C38] Halyards

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 11 15:07:50 EST 2011

Hello Jay and Dorothy,

I think I can answer your question about the masthead sheaves being
replaced aloft.

In theory, it can be done.  In reality, not by most mortal humans.  The
problem is that you have the weight of the halyards trying to pull the
sheaves down into the mast.  If you remove the halyards, you can use a wire
to go around each sheave to pull them forward and aft to get them out of
the masthead.  This would be a tricky maneuver on the deck, let alone
swinging around 55' in the air.

On the hard with the mast on sawhorses, you just remove the cover plate on
the sheave pins and it is very easy to remove the sheaves.

As Phil Gay pointed out, you can actually use the original v-groove sheaves
for rope halyards.  I ran rope halyards for many years before I had my mast
removed for service and I had no noticeable wear on the halyards.

When I finally dropped and serviced my mast, I did go back with lighter,
better quality rope sheaves.

Tom Troncalli
Recovering ex-Catalina 38 owner.