[C38] Stability Index

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 12 23:12:39 EST 2011

Thanks Steve,

This is good to know.  In 2002 we took a trip from Tampa Bay to Key West and the weather man lied!

We had 40 mph winds and 12' breaking seas for most of the trip. We shook the boat apart and we were fixing things for years afterwards but the boat held together and kept on going.

We were traveling with two other boats and both of them had to lay over in Key West for repair before they could return to their home ports.  We sustained minor damage but we were the only boat in the group that returned to home port (St. Pete) without a layover for repairs.

The 38 knifed through the waves while the two other boats had fuller bows and tried to hobby horse.  We took blue water over the cabin top many times flooding the cockpit but the 38 stayed upright and kept on sailing.

The damages we sustained were chafe related and not structural.  Most were just cosmetic.  After that trip I had a new respect for the stability of the 38.  At one point we were close to shore to minimize the wave action and we hit 7.5 kts going to weather with a doused main and a reefed jib showing only a small blade of a headsail.  What a ride!

Thanks again for the info on the stability rating.

Tom Troncalli
recovering ex-38 owner