[C38] Mast gate

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 12 23:39:19 EST 2011

Hello Max,

I did exactly what you are describing.  I fabricated two gates to fill the sides of the slot.  The gates were made from aluminum hammered round and a filler piece was pop riveted to make the inside of the slot flush with the mast.

The two gates were held by stainless #10 hex head screws, one on each filler gate.

When I lowered my mainsail, about half of the sail lugs were below the gate.

The trick to fabricating the gates is to make the inside piece absolutely flush with the slot so the lugs don't bind.  Properly fabricated,  the lugs don't even notice the gate.

With the gate fillers, the mainsail will stow very tightly and lower on the boom.

We also often had a tarp over the boom for shade when not sailing and by making the sail tighter and lower on the boom it kept the sun tarp more horizontal and closer to the cabin top for a neater appearance and less windage.

Tom Troncalli