[C38] Tom is right

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Fri Jan 14 10:36:19 EST 2011

I apologize for the facetious post. Of course the knot meter is very
useful for current calculations. It pegs while we come in under the
Golden Gate Bridge at max ebb; the GPS says 1.567 knots. This is the
main reason, by the way, that the paddle is inconstant on any given day.
The big problem with the paddle is its need for constant cleaning; the
bugs love to grow there. One could teach an invertebrate zoology course
with the species that find a home on the paddle. Don't you just love the
green column of water that shoots up into the boat when you extract the
device from its mounting!  This still gives me an adrenaline lift, after
many years of the experience. I use a wooden bung to plug the hole while
cleaning off the paddle wheel.
Don