[C38] Leading control lines to the cockpit

Steven Ribble steve.ribble at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 10:40:12 EST 2011

Hi Folks, not wanting to reinvent the sail ("wheel" just didn't seen right,
here) I'm looking for some guidance.  The hardware on Tittravate is still
set up in it's original configuration - everything lead to the mast and/or
along the boom (yes, its still got the goofy mainsheet set-up, but no longer
rigged that way).  As we in the north tend to do while going through
sailing withdrawals, I'm planning out the upgrades I'd like to tackle before
she goes back in the water...and one major thing that I've wanted to do for
a while is lead the mainsail control lines back to the cockpit.

Current thought is to lead main halyard and reef starboard, and mainsheet
and [the new rigid] vang to port...prefer the mainsheet to starboard, but
there isn't much room to run lines.

As I plan this out I've got the following questions:
1 - Where to put the rope clutches?  It doesn't seem like there's enough
room between the traveler track and the [cabin top] winch for a clutch and
turning block (if needed)
2 - Is there another [effective] option than using rope clutches?
3 - Is it crazy to think I could incorporate sheaves or a deck organizer
into the teak traveler supports (notch cutout to allow through-bolt from
support through sheave and coach roof)
4 - Even crazier: what about using an "over the top" double block as a
vertical deck organizer at the end of the traveler support...would it create
too much of a trip hazard?
5 - Is a stand-up turning block (with backing support) on the partners
sufficient to handle the potential loads they'll see; what about attached to
the mast above the deck...is there a preferred option?

Any help/advice, especially the economical kind, would be appreciated.

--
Steve Ribble
Tittravate, C-38 #64