[C38] New Topic: Dinghys

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Mon Jan 17 23:28:04 EST 2011

Dang Tom,

I wish I would have talked to you before purchasing mine I could have "saved" the money I spent on the dingy and reallocated to another priority in my hole in the water.  After we got the boat my wife insisted on a dingy, mind you I had just had the bottom done, the shaft replaced, the mast and rigging done and was out of cash, and bless her heart she found a dingy we could afford.   The nice part about it is that with one arm I can lift it out of the water move it forward where it takes up very little space, actually hardly gets in the way.   Its also seal proof as my daughter and I found out one day when we were exploring in it,  We were rowing along calmly in a little cove and "bang" we got nailed from below.   It came with a motor mount that I have not tried yet as anything over 2 hp I fear will make it stand up on its stern and shoot straight up leaving the occupants behind.  Ive thought about a battery powered trolling motor but after the battery goes in well were do the passengers sit? So we stow uninflated it in the port lazarette and make sure we are close to shore when anchoring or better yet in a marina :)  Mainly because after rowing any distance to shore I really am not in the mood to explore much past the beers in the cooler.

Steve