[C38] Sailrite sewing machine

Craig Steinkraus Navion at Charter.net
Wed Jan 19 22:26:10 EST 2011

Just to add to the discussion......My wife has one of those sewing machines that cost as much as a new RIB, but doesn't come close to going through many layers of Sunbrella required on some projects.  When we made the dodger, there were several places we had to sew through 9 layers. Also, when sewing large peices, as in a sail, the walking foot helps moving the huge peices of fabrick through the machine, which can be a issue at times. If your looking to buy one, consider the large flywheel and left and right zipper feet as options.

Craig
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Anders Finn
  To: listserve at catalina38.org
  Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:45 PM
  Subject: Re: [C38] Sailrite sewing machine

  Whhhaaaatt? You're not using that machine? Bring it to me!! I don't need a walking foot.

  Anyway, for everyone else, yeah, a walking foot is nearly required for anyone trying to do straight stitching through fabric of any type. You can get straighter stitching still if you set yourself up a jig. Just treat it like you would a woodworking project. Be careful about borrowing a SO's home use machine however as fabric for sails, covers, etc are much thicker than normal fabric.

  Anders