[C38] Stanchions

Chuck Finn charles at finn.ws
Tue Feb 1 09:28:50 EST 2011

Anders and Steve,
I was a tool and die machinist for U.S. Steel way back in the 70-80s.
And you know what we machinists say about engineers!
Regardless, this takes Steve's "out of date" to a whole new level!
But, Anders back of the envelope calculations need to be compared to the
strength of a 4 square inch plate attached to the deck with 1/4 inch
screws with perhaps 3/4 inch washers on the underside.  I would reduce
any estimates by 1/2 due to deck compression, leaks, etc. (that is what
we machinists would do when we have to make the engineer's designs work).

Here are the urls for spec on 6063:

http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA6063T5
http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA6063T6

As you can see, there is a big difference regarding the way T5 and 6
spec out.

Best discussion is here:
http://www.asminternational.org/pdf/datasheets/al392.pdf

Max and anyone with the hole problem:
If you want to treat the holes, here is an article about the Alodine
pen.  Best price I saw while wandering around was about $80
http://www.aerospace.henkel.com/us/content_data/Henkels_Alodine_871_Touch-N-Prep_Pen_Meets_Aerospace_and_Military_Specifications953433.pdf

Way too much fun for an old man!
Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn  #114