[C38] Backstay adjuster

Steven Ribble steve.ribble at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 12:48:48 EST 2011

Hi Dan, if your stern pulpit is set up for it and you're intent on a ladder
off the stern you can stop reading here.  #64 never had a transom ladder,
and the stern rail isn't set up for it.  The ladder is on the port quarter
half way between the primary winch and the beginning of the stern pulpit.
 The attachment "slots" are bolted through the deck and butt up to the
inside of the toerail. It came to me with a plastic ladder which didn't last
long so I found a stainless ladder (4-1/2', folds to 3') at West Marine
(didn't see it at West online, but the part is Dive-N-Dog # L-3-2-12-D-F-RM
(http://www.divendog.com/Product.aspx?item=82&u=0) and I simply cut down one
of the offset legs to conform to the hull shape.  The ladder comes off
completely and I store it in the aft locker.

I may be rationalizing this arrangement to myself but, I like this location
because there are no sharp edges to hit when boarding while the boat's
pitching in waves and if you need to get someone on board that needs help
(that fell over and is either weak from swimming or getting hypothermia, for
example...or even when using a lifesling), there's plenty of room for people
to help...without impacting the helmsman's ability to maneuver.

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Dan Miller <millsdan at verizon.net> wrote:

>  Hi all, I'm looking for a mechanical backstay adjuster. Has anyone
> upgraded to a hydraulic adjuster and has a mechanical one in very good
> condition to sell? If none are out there, what manufacturer and model # is
> recomended from those who have a mechanical adjuster?
> Also, to those who bought a C38 and it didn't have the original transom
> ladder and have since added one, did you buy from a certain manufacturer and
> then have it altered to the angle of our transom?
> Thanks, Dan #108, Chesapeake Bay

Steve Ribble
207/852-0971