[C38] bimini

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sun Feb 13 03:50:12 EST 2011

When we purchased JACE, the PO had put a rather neat system in place.
It required a pole that is supported at the back stay by a simple ring,
and the cover attached at the back edge of the dodger, with a hem that
slipped over the pole, and an opening in the middle for the support ring
on the backstay.  It is controlled by tie downs on the ends of the pole
down to the pushpit top rail.  There are also stern curtains, which I
support by means of a line from one end of the pole to the other.  This
leaves the sides open, but provides pretty good protection from the
winds.  My assessment:
	Coverage over the cockpit: good
	Installation ease:         moderate (dealing with the pole can be a
hassle)
	Use under way:             Wouldn't do it.
	ease of access:            BAD, it was too low on the sides to
                                   permit easy access to the cockpit,
                                   and I never got around to trying to
                                   improve that
anchor or on the buoy, and we have used it, but it makes moving around
the deck harder, and puts stress on the dodger and dodger hold downs.  I
haven't checked with the new struts I put in place, so no recent
experience.

Regards,