[C38] Headstay Length?

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 2 11:32:16 EST 2011

Hi, Chuck,
	The hull of a boat or ship is non linear, and often a compound curve.
To fit a board or rib (as in sistering) the matching member has to be
cut or bent (steamed) to match the curve.  It is often too difficult to
match using a tracing technique, so a board and stick are used to
calculate points which can be bridged with a batten to arrive at the
correct "fair curve".

	The board is just a square or reasonable shape to get at the place
where the new member is to be attached.  The stick is long enough to
match the reach the curve of the ship at all points where the new member
will be placed. It is either sharpened or a nail is inserted to give a
precise point to the stick.

	The stick is placed along the board, and a line scribed where along the
stick, and a mark placed on the stick matching a mark on the board.  The
two marks on the stick and board are labled as "A" or some such, then
the stick is moved and a new line and marks made and labled "B" or some
such repeat as required.  The points touched are typically 2-4" apart
along the hull, unless the curve is really tight.

	Take the tick board and stick to a flat surface and lay them on top of
the piece to be cut.  Place the stick again along the lines with the
marks lined up, and mark the board to be cut at the point of the stick.
Repeat until all marks are made on the new piece.  Place a batten along
the marks and scribe its arc(s) on the new piece.

	Cut the new piece along the batten scribed line and away you go.

Regards,