[C38] corrosion and Rigid Vang installation

Phil Gay eyriepg at comcast.net
Fri Mar 11 11:52:31 EST 2011

I tried to mount my vang plate on the mast as low as practical to make the
loads more vertical on the plate than horizontal.  I think this puts more
shear loads on the screws than tension loads.  I would definitely use screws
sized according to the holes in the vang plate rather than rivets.  The only
problem I had tapping the holes was that I didn’t get one of the holes
perpendicular to the plate.  A very important thing to remember is to pin
the gooseneck to prevent the boom from rotating axially (twisting).  This
movement will destroy the vang.

Phil Gay

C38 049 Que Linda

Everett, WA