[C38] Dinghy towing

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 14 20:28:22 EDT 2011

Here's my two cents on dinghy towing.

Our experience has been, when towing, to use a short double bridle.  This
puts the dink on the leading edge of the stern wake when we are at moderate
to hull speeds.  We have found that this allows the 38 to actually go
faster than if we bring the dink and motor on board.

When we need to maneuver for docking, I take one of the two bridle lines
and bring it forward to a primary winch or cleat on the opposite side of
the intended docking side with a shortened length of line.  This allows the
dink to pivot on the side of the 38 and neither line of the double bridle
has enough slack to get caught in the prop.

We tried towing with a single tow line but the dink would try to surf and
would attempt to broach.  Using a fairly short double bridle eliminated
this problem and also allowed a way to bring the dink alongside while still
having the other side of the bridle still attached so there was no worry
about losing the dink while re-tying it as we prepared for docking.

Getting the dink out of the water has some advantages but so does leaving
it in the water.  Having the dink adjusted to ride the surf of the stern
wake allows the dink to surf with almost no pull on the towing boat but
storing the dink and motor on deck or davits adds weight to the 38 which
can slow the speed more than towing.

Having a dink already in the water makes for a quick launch also, whether
for convenience or emergency.

The key here is using a short double bridle to stabilize the dink.  Even if
the dink surfs with no load on the bridle, the short lengths of the bridle
will eventually keep the dink contained in a proper path before it gets too
crossed up.

Tom Troncalli
(recovering ex-owner)

<drstrong at ucdavis.edu>